Friday, August 19, 2011

The story of stuff.....

                                                www.storyofstuff.com
What a humbling picture of what is happening in our world...........I grew up with the skill of thrifty ingrained in me, however, most people didn't.    I know people that turn their noses up at garage sales, and flea markets, and used goods in general.........I know that there are still things we need to work on, and this is a great reminder and a shocking picture of what is happening to our planet.


This is worth the time to watch it all........


                                         http://storyofstuff.org/cosmetics/


I am so thankful that I have moved away from a lot of those products......as controversial as it is, I WILL SAY IT..... We say NO to sunscreen, when I do use it when we are to be somewhere all day, with no reprieve rom the sun, I use one by burt's bees one with oils.   People sometimes get pretty worked up when you say anything about it, and they think " those poor kids"....I think the same about them!!!!
........so we don't mention it.   


 We wear long sleeves sometimes, and occasionally hats, and we use common sense.    I will never be convinced that I need to slather my kids (on the largest organ of the body, their skin) with sunscreen that is full of toxic chemicals.    I have done the research, and after going to college for business, I see through most of it.    


Think about it, get people hooked on the thought that this lotion will protect them if they use it everyday, and re-apply it too!   Be sure to re-apply often.    Any product that they can convince us we need regularly, is money in their pocket.    I know people that use it, as instructed by a doctor, constantly, and spend upwards of 15 bucks a bottle.   Convince billions of people they need it, and get doctors to endorse it, and that is big business. 


I came to this conclusion last year as I became more aware of what we have around us, and in our hair and body products.   We live in a toxic world, but there are things we can do to reduce our exposure...... 


Talk to a 90 plus year old farmer and ask him about it......he'll tell you to wear a hat, get gradual sun in the spring, and use common sense.      







No comments:

Post a Comment