Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Let the homeschooling adventure begin.........

After more than a year of preparation and prayers, we are officially a homeschooling family.     The curriculum, My Father's World  has been ordered and shipped, and this evening we have re-signed the by-laws and are back for a second year in a co-op with CHECC

 After reading http://cathyduffyreviews.com/general-book-reviews/100-top-picks.htm, attending the Homeschool Convention in Cincinnati, Ohio this spring, and talking to lots of moms, I had narrowed it down to 4 main companies that I liked.    Fortunately, my husband is much more decisive than I am, and he was able to look at the narrowed down choices and decide that he liked My Father's World.

We both agree that we will gradually hand select, and use bits and pieces to taylor the boys' education to them once we get the hang of this, but for this year, I needed something that doesn't require me to reinvent the wheel.   I wanted something that I could get into a good routine with and that we could be confident in.    Aside from not using/doing it, I don't think that it is possible to mess this up.   It is a beautiful, simple, well thought out program.    Well, at least it appears that way from the starting line.

We are committing to one year of this, and well see how it goes.    If it works for us, then we will keep on, if it doesn't, well we at least gave it a good effort.     I think we will know by December if this is going to work well with our family.    I have felt led, and well, at some points when I was hesitant, things all kept pointing to this.   That will be for another post!

Nervous, YES!   But, over the last few years, I have learned that God asks us to do things that are hard, and things that we don't want to do.   Sometimes things that....... until he opens our eyes, we don't even feel like we are capable of.     However, it is in these that he tests us.   These things are what he uses to draw us closer, as we must depend on him fully to supply us with what we need to get the job done!     I am learning that I can see him working the most when I simply follow him, and rely on him, and give it all I have, then he somehow brings the loose ends together.

I know this blog is new, and there aren't many, if any homeschool mommies are reading yet, so for now these will be a bit of a diary for me to document the journey for us.   But if any homeschooling mommies are out there, feel free to comment, as it would be nice to connect!




No comments:

Post a Comment