Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Onion's, and more....earlier than I thought

     This is the first year I have grown onions to try to keep them for winter, I used to just plant sets for green onions, and until a couple years ago, I didn't even like them.    I have accused my husband of praying that I would learn to like them, so that I would cook with them.  (Notice the haze in the picture, that is from the sweltering heat wave that were having in Ohio, that fogged up my lens when I came out to snap the picture this morning)
  
 We went out of town to visit a relative, and right before I left, my garlic appeared ready, and browning, so I pulled it up and hung it in a bundle..... and while I was gone, one raised bed of onions decided to lay over.    So I left them for a couple weeks, and pulled them this week, and let them sit in the sun for a couple days.   However, we got a wicked thunderstorm Monday night, so brought them inside.   But back out onto the porch they go today to get cured.......They are Walla Walla.   And I planted a bundle of plants that cost about $3.50, and the harvest was about 14lbs.   I am not sure if that is a very good yield or not, but I am happy for a first timer:)      I have several other varieties that are still standing, so maybe these will go into my salsa and spaghetti sauce that will be canned in the upcoming weeks.  
Before the carrot harvest......
  





                             So..........
Where and how do you cure your onions?   Is this normal that they are ready so early?  Do you leave them out in the garden when they are curing?   And what if it rains on them, do you just leave them out longer, or do you gather them up as I did so they don't get wet?     

After!



We also had a good crop of carrots and beets and turnips come in.    So many that it cracked my clothes basket on the way into the house!    What a blessing! .......and it seems as though if I can get the next round to germinate, we will have a fall crop too!!!
Garlic on my porch.....
We took the carrots and beets to my grandma's to clean and prepare and keep her company last friday, and Xander  and Coleton had a disagreement over who's turn it was to swing on the tire swing, so Xander ran off to pout.....
It is hard to get the boys to take a nap at the Farm, they just want to run, play and be boys.
Living in a neighborhood is much different than growing up with space to run and explore.......



     

2 comments:

  1. I love it. And your photos are just awesome.

    My onions starting flopping over last week, so Jeff and I dug some of them last night. I bundled them up and hung them in the rafters in the shed. They'll stay there until they start falling out of their bundles and/or cold weather sets in. It's really quite convenient to go out and 'pick' an onion when you need it :) When the rafters are full, I'll take a pic and post it.

    I need to come over and see your garden...the peeks you've posted are so beautiful!

    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo hoo.....my first comment on my blog....lol....I need some rafters:) My neighbors think I am crazy, with onion and garlic all over my porch. However, I sort of smile when I look at it, because it is exciting to em that they grew. Guess we will get together after fair, bean snapping party??? so u can check it out! Although, harvesting emptied it out a little, so it isn't quite as pretty. I have got to get planting this week for fall stuff! It is just so warm, I wonder if I will have any luck!

    ReplyDelete